Start Mardi Gras with this tasty treat ~ Cajun Oyster Pie!
Original recipe makes 1 – 9 inch pie
Makes 6 servings
3 thick slices bacon
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
18 shucked oysters, drained with liquid reserved
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
2 (9 inch) unbaked 9 inch pie crusts
15 mins COOK 30 min READY IN 45 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon bacon grease.
- Crumble bacon and set aside. Heat bacon grease and vegetable oil over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook until flour is light brown.
- Slowly whisk in milk and 1 cup reserved oyster liquid.
- Stir until a thick gravy has formed.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, Cajun seasoning and oysters. Pour mixture into a 9 inch pie shell and cover with top crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until crust is golden.