It’s that time of your for soup – try this one – Elegant Oyster Soup!
Original recipe makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup button mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup butter (or lower calorie whipped butter or margarine substitute)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- 1 cup heavy cream (or fat-free half ‘n half)
- 12 shucked oysters and juice
PREP 15 mins; COOK 45 mins; READY IN 1 hr
- Chop all vegetables with Ulu Knife as noted for recipe
- In a large pot, saute chopped carrot, onion, celery and fresh mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter for 5 minutes or until the onions are transparent.
- In another large pot, melt 1/2 cup butter and stir in the flour. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken broth to the flour mixture. Add the sauteed vegetables, artichokes hearts, bay leaf, salt, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano and sage. Simmer for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Shuck your oysters (hint try one of Gonzo’s oyster knives and shucking board)
- Whisk in cream and add oysters; bring to a simmer, but do not boil.