- Prepare oysters by carefully shucking a dozen using oyster shucking knife and shucking board.
- Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine flour, Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (or see list of spices below for your own seasoning mix), salt and black pepper. Dredge oysters in flour mixture, dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs.
- Carefully slide oysters into hot oil. Cook five at a time until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain briefly on paper towels. Serve hot.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Essence, plus 1 tablespoon
- 16 freshly shucked oysters, about 1 pint, drained
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning or to taste.
Other option – switch out Chachere’s seasoning for these ingredients:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme